IRS Tax Fraud
Someone filed a fraudulent income tax return using your information to create a refund that was not paid to you.
The following resources have been gathered and vetted in order to better serve you. These resources have been chosen to help simplify the process of recovery after a cyber incident has taken place. With these resources you may need to contact organizations outside Fraudsupport.org. Results will vary depending on your circumstances.
Visit Identitytheft.gov to create a recovery plan
Find IRS Resources and guidance here (Multiple Languages):
- Identity Protection: Prevention, Detection and Victim Assistance
- IRS Identity Theft Victim Assistance: How It Works
- Instructions for Requesting Copy of Fraudulent Returns
- File an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit
- Call IRS at 1-800-829-1040, and if you previously contacted the IRS and did not have a resolution, contact us for specialized assistance at 1-800-908-4490. They have teams available to assist.
- If you received a IRS scam call or email from someone pretending to represent the IRS, send it here and report the incident here.
Find local resources to help at OVCTTAC.gov
Once the proper organizations have been notified and you are on the road to recovery, it is time to reinforce your cybersecurity. Let’s take action and strengthen your cybersecurity with the following resources and tools.
Tax Scams/Consumer Alerts from IRS (English and Spanish)
Taxpayer Guide to Identity Theft from IRS (Multiple Languages)