If you think your Social Security number has been stolen, we recommend that you act immediately by following our guidelines below, and then proceed to our ReportRecover and Reinforce sections for further assistance. A stolen Social Security number can affect your finances and hurt your credit history.

Some Immediate Action Steps to Take

  • Notify your bank or financial institution about the theft of your Social Security number.
  • Visit IdentityTheft.gov from the Federal Trade Commission to file a report and create a personalized plan for recovery.
  • Download the ID Theft Help App from the Identity Theft Resource Center for free help with identity theft cases.
  • Go to annualcreditreport.com to obtain a free copy of your credit report, add a fraud alert or freeze your credit on Experian, Equifax and TransUnion in one place.
  • If you need to contact one of the credit reporting companies, their customer service numbers are:
  • If your Social Security Card is stolen, contact your local police department immediately to file a theft report. You should also contact SSA directly at 1-800-772-1213 to request a replacement Social Security Card. (Do you need a new Social Security number?)
  • If you suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) immediately to file a report (800-908-4490) and complete an IRS Identity Theft Affidavit (IRS Form 14039).
  • If someone is filing for unemployment benefits using your personal information, alert your employer immediately.


Reporting identity theft incidents to IdentityTheft.gov is very important! The more national reporting data that is collected, the better the chance law enforcement has to catch the criminals and decrease online crime. Although IdentityTheft.gov does not resolve individual complaints directly, they will make your report available to local, state and other law enforcement partners. Please read the IdentityTheft.gov privacy policy here. (If you believe that you’ve received a phishing email, please forward the email directly to reportphishing@apwg.org.)

If someone has filed for unemployment benefits using your personal information, report the fraud to your state unemployment benefits agency. Find your state agency’s contact information here.


These resources have been gathered, selected and vetted to help simplify the process of recovering after a cybercrime incident has taken place. You may need to contact organizations outside Fraudsupport.org. Results will vary depending on your circumstances.


Once you have notified the appropriate organizations and you are on the road to recovery, it is time to reinforce your cybersecurity using these resources and tools.

Implement Preventive Measures